We all love beef jerky. It is a great snack and the best thing to enjoy when you are watching a movie. And, who doesn’t love bacon?
Bacon for breakfast and even for dinner if you like. What if I tell you that you can combine these two great things, and have bacon jerky? Then, you won’t have an excuse for eating bacon anymore.
Now you can enjoy bacon all the time. As bacon jerky.
This is everything you need to know about making your own bacon jerky. This isn’t as hard as you might think.
Can You Really Make Bacon Jerky?
We know that there are all kinds of jerky, and they are tasting all great. But, can you really make your own bacon jerky? Isn’t this a procedure that is complicated and that is going to take a long to make?
This is good news. You might need a couple of things, but you can make your bacon jerky in no time. And, you don’t need to have a huge variety of things.
And, it isn’t as hard as people might think. The moment that you know how to make it correctly, you will realize that this is something that you can make all the time.
What Will You Need in Order to Make Bacon Jerky?
There are two things that you need to have with you in order to make bacon jerky. The first one is for sure bacon strips. The second thing that you need in order to make bacon jerky is a smoker.
It can be any type of smoker from a charcoal smoker to your electric or gas smoker. However, without a smoker, you will not be able to make the bacon jerky correctly. This is the secret to making this type of jerky.
The smoker is essential. You would think that the bacon is already smoked, so need to smoke it again. However, this is another level of smoking.
Tips That You Need to Know Before You Make Bacon Jerky for the First Time
Something that is important, is to remember these tips. This is the key to making bacon jerky successful. There are many people that try to make bacon jerky, but they are failing. Mostly because they didn’t remember these tips.
The first thing that you should remember is that you should purchase the normal cut bacon. The thick-cut won’t work correctly. And, the thin cut will cook way too fast, and will not have the right, jerky taste. The bacon should also be of high quality.
If you are one of those that are keeping your bacon frozen, you need to defrost it correctly. Half defrosted bacon can be dangerous to eat. It should be at refrigerator temperature before you can start making your bacon jerky.
Step by Step Guide in Making Bacon Jerky
With this guide on how to make bacon jerky, you will not make any mistakes in making the perfect jerky. This is the best and easiest way that you can make your bacon jerky in no time.
- Prepare your meat. Therefore, you will need to have a dry rub. This is some spices that you are going to mix together and rub on the bacon. The type of spices doesn’t matter. You can use your favorite spices mixed together.
- Getting your smoker to the right temperature. This is an essential step. You should not start smoking the bacon before you have reached the right temperature. The temperature should be around 190°F.
- This is the first part of making jerky. The smoking part. This takes about 2 hours, depending on the amount of bacon you are smoking. The bacon should be far from the fire or direct heat and should always keep at the temperature mentioned. Never make the temperature higher or even lower.
- This is the second part of making jerky. This is the cooking part that is making the bacon jerky. This is normally taking about 3 hours, and you will need your oven for this. With the oven at the same temperature as with the smoker, you should start checking the bacon after one hour of cooking. You should make sure that you check on it, to get the right texture and color. When the bacon is changing color, you will know that your bacon is starting to become jerky.
- The last step is to remove the access oil and to store it for enjoying it when you are in the mood for jerky.
Now you can use your smoker and make your own bacon jerky.
This is something that you should try making if you love bacon and love jerky. The combination of these two will ensure that you will always have bacon jerky in your home.
And, the best part is that this isn’t a complicated process to make your own beef jerky.